football, maths, life, whatever else...but mainly football and life

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Thoughts on Californism Part II

Looking back after yesterday, maybe the best thing about California was not seeing so much football. Barca's game last night was just utterly depressing and right now, I guess it's more a matter of Rijkaard wanting to leave than anything else.
I stayed up until 1.30 am to watch the NCAA Elite Eight games. Impressed once more by UCLA. Surprised that North Carolina won with 10 points against Louisville. But it's all good.
A quick look at the cities: I saw too little of LA unfortunately, only Santa Monica, a bit of Wilshire, but not the areas I wanted to visit, which was down to my means of transportation sucking bad. But LA is great, sort of. Just stay off the Tehrangeles path and you are safe. My next stop was San Diego, which is in some ways a wonderful city, because basically more than half of the people speak Spanish and not English, the weather is just incredible, Balboa park is even more incredible and overall, the city and the whole county is just wonderful from both city-built and nature view. The big problem might be that San Diego is a city dominated by Navy, Army and whatever else so you might just find the occasional redneck more easily than anywhere else in California.
But given the weather, who gives a ffffff


Vegas was sort of interesting. I still have a love/hate relationship with Vegas. I really don't know how to feel about it, but at least right now I see the point of having a city like Las Vegas. It's just a place they need to vent off, most of them at least. I would love to know how the flux to Vegas is but I might guess that it's more frequented by people from SoCal and maybe also the more conservative areas. In some ways, the city is just ridiculous, but it has some type of magic which makes sure you might return.
San Fran was to me the ultimate dream of a city as it combined everything good you have in Europe with the good things of California. It had a decent public transport, it's left-leaning(Nancy Pelosi for president!!) and the city and everything...well it's just a dream.

A good article I read today on the current economic crisis in the US, although I still have my doubts whether this is really the big one.

No comments: