football, maths, life, whatever else...but mainly football and life

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Thoughts on Californism Part I

I'm back home now from my 2 week trip to California. To me, there's the US and there's California, both are two different worlds. California, maybe it's the weather, maybe the weed, I really don't know, but this whole laidbackness and everything is just great and I can also live very well with friendly people, I don't need what I got here to be challenged. I didn't miss on anything really there, well maybe apart of internet but looking back, I didn't miss much there either.
For football, you got enough channels right now thanks to the growing number of latinos. But better than that, I got really hooked on March Madness(Go Bruins! And if it goes wrong, I bought my NC blue backpack already..), food is great, intellectual challenge is there(I still have to find a radio station in Europe as good as NPR, Financial Times, The Nation, NYT are available everywhere, I can't imagine a university I would rather prefer to study at than Berkeley), basically, you got everything there if you just look after it.
Yeah, alright, the people believe everything you tell them, Arnold is their governor..so what? Does it matter?
What bothered me so far most was the Tehran/Irangelesian style of living in the US, which basically consists of shopping at malls, going to Vegas, hanging out with Iranians all the time and after 20 years of living there, still not being able to speak english decently, plus believing blacks and latinos are some sort of lower people. But then again, that has nothing to do with Cali, but it's maybe more about Iranians.
Eitherway, if you ever hit San Francisco, make sure to visit Burma Superstar. I haven't had food as good as this in my whole life or let's say it's definetly top 5. Incredibly good restaurant.

No comments: